Volunteer Kitchen Assistant
Role OverviewAssist in our Community Catering kitchen in preparing delicious, nutritious meals for delivery
Hours/DurationMonday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday 8am-1pm or Sunday 7.30am-12.30pm
COPE Galway Service:Community Catering Services
Location:Community Catering, Ballybane Industrial Estate, Galway
About COPE Galway
COPE Galway believes in the principle of every person having a home which meets their needs. Our vision is an improved quality of life, in a home of your own for people affected by homelessness, women & children experiencing domestic violence and older people. We believe communities have a very important role in assisting us with our mission. Volunteering is one very important way in which our community can help us in our work.
COPE Galway Community Catering Service delivers nutritious meals to the homes of older people, housebound/disabled people or those unable to prepare a meal for themselves. The service provides approximately 200 meals daily, which are delivered by a team of volunteer drivers.
Volunteer Role Description:
Cope Galway Community Catering service delivers nutritious meals to the homes of older people, housebound/disabled people or those unable to prepare a meal for themselves. The service provides approximately 200 meals daily, which are prepared by a team of kitchen assistant volunteers and then delivered by a team of volunteer drivers.
Responsible to: Manager/Designated Person
- Assist the chef in preparation, cooking, packing, labelling and storage of meals for delivery
- Assisting with cleaning & wash up of all food preparation areas
- Ensure that all referrals, queries and comments, suggestions or feedback regarding our meals service are appropriately forwarded to the chef or co-ordinator
- To ensure recipients of Meals and all staff and volunteers are treated with dignity and respect at all times
- Be capable of working on own initiative and be organised in one’s approach to work
- Enthusiastic, approachable, communicative and flexible
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Have an appreciation and empathy for the needs of the clients
- A willingness to undertake training as required
- Respect protective clothing and equipment provided for securing the safety, health or welfare of persons arising out of work activities
- Report to management, without delay, any defects in the workplace, plant, equipment or systems of work, which may lead to danger
- Ensure that you regularly review and proactively inform yourself of all health and safety and fire safety procedures on an ongoing basis
- Be proactive in the area of self-care with regard to identifying any impacts of the work
Maintain absolute confidentiality regarding all matters relating to the activities, employees and clients of Cope Galway
Level of English required: Intermediate
Induction and Training:
The volunteer will receive induction training prior to starting the role. Further training will be provided if it is deemed appropriate for the role.
Support and Supervision:
Volunteer will be supervised by the Manager/Designated Person.
- The opportunity to make a positive difference in the lives of the clients who use our Services
- The opportunity to gain practical experience in this role
- The volunteer conducts him/herself in a professional manner and maintains a respectful and courteous manner in dealing with clients
- Willingness to work within the values and policies of COPE Galway
- The volunteer will maintain confidentiality in respect of all matters which come to their knowledge in the course of the volunteer role
- The volunteer will make a commitment of 6 months to this role
- Submit an application for the role
- Screening – once the application form is received and the applicant is considered a suitable match for the role, the applicant will be invited to an Interview
- The interview will take place in the relevant service. Successful applicants will be offered the volunteer role subject to 2 Reference Checks from Irish referees and Garda Vetting
- Induction and Orientation will be provided prior to commencement
- Trial period – volunteers commencing with COPE Galway are subject to a trial period
How to Apply
There are three ways you can submit your completed volunteer application form to us.
Email your completed application form to email@example.com
Post or bring in your application form to Volunteer Office, COPE Galway, Calbro House, Tuam Road, Galway.
Submit your application using the online form below.