At COPE Galway, we respect your privacy and are committed to ensuring that any personal information or data you entrust us with is collected legally and held securely and safely.
Please read this policy carefully to learn what personal information we collect and understand how we collect, process and store personal information obtained on copegalway.ie.
COPE Galway collects and uses personal information to help ensure that we can deliver Homeless, Domestic Abuse and Senior Support Services; to process enquiries made through copegalway.ie and to engage with COPE supporters, donors, volunteers and employees about getting involved what we do and report on the impact of their involvement with COPE Galway.
1. The Data Controller
COPE Galway is the data controller responsible in respect to the information collected on this website, copegalway.ie.
COPE Galway is a registered charity (CRA number 20011314) and Company Limited by Guarantee (Company no. 248134), with a registered office at Calbro House, Tuam Road, Galway, H91 XR97. COPE Galway is the Data Controller and is committed to protecting the rights of individuals in line with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
Data Protection Officer
2. The personal information we collect
COPE Galway collects the following personal information when you visit and take actions on our website:
- Personal and contact information – including your names, contact details (email, phone number, post address, etc.) and other personal information relevant to your preferences and interaction with COPE Galway.
- Financial payment and data – when you make a donation or any other payment on copegalway.ie, we collect payment information including credit/debit card details, and where necessary, bank account details.
- Technical data – when you visit copegalway.ie we automatically collect certain including your browser type and version, browser ID, IP address, device, time zone, operating system, and information about how you browse and interact with the copegalway.ie website.
3. How we collect personal information
COPE Galway collects and processes personal data directly from you when you:
- Submit personal information in a contact form on copegalway.ie.
- Make an online donation on copegalway.ie we collect personal data like your name, email address, billing address and where used, banking details. We also collect, but do not retain credit/debit card numbers.
- Register online or submit an expression of interest in an event.
- Place an order online for any of our services or shop products.
- Submit information when applying for an employment or volunteer role with COPE Galway.
- Submit personal information when subscribing to receive marketing and communication from COPE Galway.
Cookies are small data files sent from a web server to your web browser and stored on your web browser. They store data about how you use and interact with websites, and send the information back to the server each time your browser requests a page from the server. This enables the web server to identify and track the web browser. For more information about cookies, and how to disable cookies, visit www.allaboutcookies.org.
We use both “session” cookies and “persistent” cookies on the website. We will use the session cookies to keep track of you whilst you navigate the website. We will use the persistent cookies to enable our website to recognise you when you visit.
Session cookies will be deleted from your computer when you close your browser. Persistent cookies will remain stored on your computer until deleted, or until they reach a specified expiry date.
4. How we use your personal information
Where applicable, COPE Galway uses the personal information you provide and technical information we collect when you use copegalway.ie, to:
- Respond to your contact enquiries or requests for information.
- To process your online donation, made on copegalway.ie, contact you regarding any questions related to your donation if applicable.
- To respond to service enquiries, provide and manage COPE Galway services.
- To assess and process applications for employment with COPE Galway.
- To assess and process applications for volunteer roles with COPE Galway.
- To process and deliver purchases from our online charity shop.
- To register you for COPE Galway events and activities are have expressed an interest in.
- To send you marketing and communication updates from COPE Galway, including updates on how your donation is used, further opportunities to support our work, events, appeals and newsletters. We will only send you this information if you consented to receive updates at the time you provided us with your personal information.
- Comply with our legal obligations (e.g. passing relevant information to Revenue to comply with financial reporting regulations and tax reclaims).
- As necessary or certain legitimate reasons.
5. Legal basis for processing your personal data
COPE Galway will process your personal data based on the following legal grounds:
With your consent where it is COPE Galway’s legitimate interest to;
- Provide you with information you have requested for.
- Send you direct marketing and supporter engagement communications you have opted in to receive, and in accordance with your preferences.
- Manage our relationships with donors and other supporters.
Where it is needed to provide services or products, including:
- Processing donations made on copegalway.ie.
- Processing event registrations and registration fees paid on copegalway.ie.
- Processing and delivering products purchased in our online charity shop.
- Responding to enquiries and contact requests that submitted on copegalway.ie.
- Processing applications for jobs and volunteer roles.
To comply with applicable legal obligations and other potential lawful processing conditions.
6. Who we share your information with
Some of these service providers are located outside of the European Economic Area. Where required COPE Galway puts in place special measures in the form of EC approved model contractual clauses/contracts with external service providers that set out our requirements and their security measures and systems in place to keep your data safe in compliance with data protection legislation. By submitting your personal information to us you agree to the transfer, storing or processing at a location outside the EEA.
These Third Party Data Processors include:
- An email marketing platform to store and manage email list subscriptions, send emails updates and manage email engagement.
- A secure payment processing service to manage and store donations and payments made on copegalway.ie. When you make a donation, buy or pay for something on copegalway.ie using your credit or debit card, we pass your card details securely to our payment processing partners. We do not store your card details on our website or databases.
7. How long we retain your information
We will retain information for as long as is necessary for to comply with the purposes for which you provided it to COPE Galway, or to comply with applicable regulatory, legal, contractual, statutory obligations and audit requirements.
8. Safeguarding your personal information
At COPE Galway, we understand the importance of keeping your information secure and confidential. We take reasonable security, technical and organisational measures to ensure that the personal data we hold on you is protected from loss, misuse, alteration or destruction, and to prevent any unauthorized or unlawful disclosure or processing.
COPE Galway stores your personal data on a secure computer located in our office and/or on a secure server hosted internally by COPE Galway and backed up by KeepITSafe.
9. Storing your personal information
10. Your Data Protection Rights
You have the following rights under data protection legislation:
- The right to be informed. You have the right to be told how your personal information is collected, maintained and how it will be used.
- The right to access. You can request for a copy of personal information COPE Galway holds on you.
- The right to rectification. If you think the personal information COPE Galway holds on you is incorrect or incomplete, you can request that we correct or complete it. We do our best to keep your personal information accurate and up to date when you provide us with the information we need to do so.
- The right to erasure or “to be forgotten”. You can request to have COPE Galway erase your personal data from our systems.
- The right to restrict processing. You may ask COPE Galway to restrict the processing of your personal data, under certain conditions.
- The right to object to the processing. You have the right to stop COPE Galway from processing your personal information, under certain conditions.
- The right to withdraw consent. Where processing is based on your consent, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time. This will not affect the lawfulness of processing based on consent before its withdrawal.
- The right to data portability. You can request that COPE Galway move, copy or transfer your personal information from one service provider to another.
- The right to object to automated decisions. Where the automated processing of your data has a legal or significant effect on you, you have the right to object to it.
Please visit gdprandyou.ie for further information on your rights.
10. Contacting COPE Galway
If you wish to exercise any of your rights listed above or are unhappy with how COPE Galway handle any aspect of your personal data, please contact:
Data Protection Officer
11. Contacting the appropriate authority
You also have the right to lodge a complaint directly to the Data Protection Commissioner which is the authority for handling Data Protection related complaints in Ireland.
The Data Protection Commissioner
We review and update the copegalway.ie from time-to-time and update this page accordingly. Updates may occur particularly when we change how we use your information, and change our technology and products.