Food Rescue Volunteer
Role OverviewWe are looking for a team of two Food Rescue Volunteers to help recover surplus food from donating business and redistributes to COPE Galway services.
Hours/DurationTuesday 7.30pm-8.30pm approx.
COPE Galway Service:Catering Services
Location:Collecting from Marks & Spencer’s and Tesco & delivering back to Community Catering in Ballybane
About COPE Galway
COPE Galway believes in the principle of every person having a home which meets their needs. Our vision is an improved quality of life, in a home of your own for people affected by homelessness, women & children experiencing domestic violence and older people. We believe communities have a very important role in assisting us with our mission. Volunteering is one very important way in which our community can help us in our work.
COPE Galway Community Catering Service delivers nutritious meals to the homes of older people, housebound/disabled people or those unable to prepare a meal for themselves. The service provides approximately 200 meals daily, which are delivered by a team of volunteer drivers.
Volunteer Role Description:
We are looking for a team of two Food Rescue Volunteers to help recover surplus food from donating business and redistributes to COPE Galway services.
Responsible to: Executive Chef / Supervisor on duty
- Assist with unloading Van and sorting donations
- Heavy lifting required
- Driver must have a full clean driving licence
- Good standard of hygiene and food safety and personal hygiene
- Ability to communicate effectively and to develop, foster and maintain positive relations with colleagues and other agencies
- Interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Ability to respond in a professional manner to challenging and stressful situations
- Planning and organisational skills – Ability to be organised in approach to work, to follow through with tasks
- A commitment to principles of diversity and inclusion
- Friendly, enthusiastic manner
- Ability to demonstrate respect to the staff of participating businesses and COPE Galway service users
Special requirement for evening shift:
Own car required
Level of English required:
Induction and Training:
- The volunteer will receive induction training prior to starting the role.
- Food safety guidance will be provided in accordance with HACCP (food safety management system).
- The volunteer will be supervised by the designated person on duty
Training will be available as appropriate for the role.
Support and Supervision:
- The opportunity to make a positive difference in the lives of the individuals and families at risk of food poverty.
- The opportunity to gain practical experience in this volunteer role
- The opportunity to contribute to a local Galway charity and help us in our work
- The volunteer agrees to fulfil the role as outlined in the volunteer role description
- The volunteer agrees to abide by Cope Galway’s Policies and Procedures
- Submit an application for the role
- Screening – once the application form is received and the applicant is considered a suitable match for the role, the applicant will be invited to an Interview
- The interview will take place in the relevant service. Successful applicants will be offered the volunteer role subject to 2 Reference Checks from Irish referees and Garda Vetting
- Induction and Orientation will be provided prior to commencement
- Trial period – volunteers commencing with COPE Galway are subject to a trial period
How to Apply
There are three ways you can submit your completed volunteer application form to us.
Email your completed application form to firstname.lastname@example.org
Post or bring in your application form to Volunteer Office, COPE Galway, Calbro House, Tuam Road, Galway.
Submit your application using the online form below.