Volunteer Shop Assistant
Role OverviewTo work with Shop Manager and other volunteers to ensure the smooth running of the COPE Galway Charity Shop
Hours/DurationWednesday 10.20am-2.20pm, Friday 1.50pm-5.45pm
COPE Galway Service:COPE Galway Charity Shop
Location:Cope Galway Charity Shop, St Augustine Street Galway
About COPE Galway
COPE Galway believes in the principle of every person having a home which meets their needs. Our vision is an improved quality of life, in a home of your own for people affected by homelessness, women & children experiencing domestic violence and older people. We believe communities have a very important role in assisting us with our mission. Volunteering is one very important way in which our community can help us in our work.
The COPE Galway Charity Shop is run by a manager and a team of volunteers, who kindly donate their time and effort. The shop sells donated ladies’, men’s and children’s clothes, accessories and jewellery, books, CDs/DVDs and small bric-a-brac. The shop is a vital source of revenue for our services.
Volunteer Role Description:
To work with Shop Manager and other volunteers to ensure the smooth running of the COPE Galway Charity Shop
Responsible to: Manager/Designated Person
Minimum Commitment: 3 months
- Customer service
- Ambassador for COPE Galway to the public
- Use of till, cashing up, and checking floats and accounting for monies
- Presentation of clothes, maintaining order in displays in the shop
- Vigilance in the shop for security against shoplifting
- Friendly manner and good with customers
- An understanding of English and good communicator
- Interest or knowledge about any of the things the shop sells is an advantage
- Reliable and punctual
- Non-judgemental/accepting attitude
- Knowledgeable about COPE Galway
The duties outlined in this role description may be subject to review in the future.
Level of English required: Fluent
Induction and Training:
The volunteer will receive induction training prior to starting the role. Further training will be provided if is deemed appropriate for the role.
Support and Supervision:
Volunteer will be supervised by the Manager/Designated Person.
- The opportunity to gain practical experience in this role
- The opportunity to contribute to a local Galway charity and help us in our work
- The volunteer conducts him/herself in a professional manner and maintains a respectful and courteous manner in dealing with clients
- Willingness to work within the values and policies of COPE Galway
- The volunteer will maintain confidentiality in respect of all matters which come to their knowledge in the course of the volunteer role
- The volunteer will make a commitment of 3 months to this role
- Submit an application for the role
- Screening – once the application form is received and the applicant is considered a suitable match for the role, the applicant will be invited to an Interview
- The interview will take place in the relevant service. Successful applicants will be offered the volunteer role subject to 2 Reference Checks from Irish referees and Garda Vetting
- Induction and Orientation will be provided prior to commencement
- Trial period – volunteers commencing with COPE Galway are subject to a trial period
How to Apply
There are three ways you can submit your completed volunteer application form to us.
Email your completed application form to email@example.com
Post or bring in your application form to Volunteer Office, COPE Galway, Calbro House, Tuam Road, Galway.
Submit your application using the online form below.