Role OverviewDelivering meals from Community Catering to the homes of people living in Galway.
Hours/DurationMonday 11am-1pm or Thursday 11am-1pm (1 shift a week or more if available)
COPE Galway Service:Community Catering
Location:From Ballybane Industrial Estate to agreed route in Galway City and County.
About COPE Galway
COPE Galway believes in the principle of every person having a home which meets their needs. Our vision is an improved quality of life, in a home of your own for people affected by homelessness, women & children experiencing domestic violence and older people. We believe communities have a very important role in assisting us with our mission. Volunteering is one very important way in which our community can help us in our work.
COPE Galway Community Catering Service delivers nutritious meals to the homes of older people, housebound/disabled people or those unable to prepare a meal for themselves. The service provides approximately 200 meals daily, which are delivered by a team of volunteer drivers.
Volunteer Role Description:
Delivering meals from Community Catering to the homes of people living in Galway.
Responsible to: Co-ordinator of Services for Older People
- Carry out multi drop deliveries to our clients on an agreed route, one day per week or as requested by Community Catering personnel
- Ensure meals are delivered promptly
- Ensure that health, safety and hygiene standards are maintained to the highest level
- Relay concerns regarding clients or clients wellbeing to the co-ordinator
Report any accidents or incidents to the Coordinator that occur during your volunteering
- Ability to respond in a professional manner to challenging and stressful situations
- Planning and organisational skills – ability to be organised in approach to work, to follow through with tasks
- A commitment to principles of diversity and inclusion
- The role requires the Volunteer to be a qualified driver with own car, full driving licence & insurance. The use of your own car will be at your own expense due to the volume of deliveries required in our service. This contribution is greatly appreciated.
- Advise your insurance company of your volunteer work. A template letter for your insurance company will be provided
- Friendly, enthusiastic manner
- Ability to demonstrate respect and empathy to clients
Level of English required: Fluent
Induction and Training:
Induction and Orientation will be provided prior to commencement
Support and Supervision:
- The opportunity to make a positive difference in the lives of the clients who use our Services
- The opportunity to gain practical experience in this role
- The volunteer conducts him/herself in a professional manner and maintains a respectful and courteous manner in dealing with clients
- Willingness to work within the values and policies of COPE Galway
- The volunteer will maintain confidentiality in respect of all matters which come to their knowledge in the course of the volunteer role
- Submit an application for the role
- Screening – once the application form is received and the applicant is considered a suitable match for the role, the applicant will be invited to an Interview
- The interview will take place in the relevant service. Successful applicants will be offered the volunteer role subject to 2 Reference Checks from Irish referees and Garda Vetting
- Induction and Orientation will be provided prior to commencement
- Trial period – volunteers commencing with COPE Galway are subject to a trial period
How to Apply
There are three ways you can submit your completed volunteer application form to us.
Email your completed application form to firstname.lastname@example.org
Post or bring in your application form to Volunteer Office, COPE Galway, Calbro House, Tuam Road, Galway.
Submit your application using the online form below.