Celebrating our 2022 Positive Ageing Week
Positive Ageing Week is about celebrating the contribution older people and highlighting the positivity of older age.
Throughout the week we take the opportunity as individuals, workplaces and community groups to celebrate older people we know who enrich our lives and communities.
A key part of the campaign is our positive ageing local heroes exhibition – a collection stories of older heroes from across Galway City and County who are contributing greatly to communities and/or are a great example of healthy and active ageing.
Here’s what to do:
- Write a short description of the person (no more than 200 words), describing their contribution and /or describe their approach to healthy and active ageing
- Get their written permission to use the bio and photo in the media during positive ageing week Download the Media Consent Form.
- Please send in the story and photo of your local here to Jacquie Lynskey by the middle of July.
See some of the 2021 local heroes below to give you an example of what we featured last year.
Other aspects of Positive Ageing Week will be and more.
- Exhibitions and events in communities across the City & County. Can you arrange one in your community?
- Children thanking their grandparents or an older person they know for their contribution to their lives, family, or neighbourhood. Cards will be available in libraries.
- A lively and active social media presence across agencies and media using a coordinated hashtag (#galwaypositiveageingweek)
Any ideas you have would be very much appreciated.
Positive Ageing Week Galway is hosted in partnership with:
Positive Ageing Week Cards
Get the young ones involved in Positive Ageing Week again this year! With a choice of four unique designs Children can get creative! Colour in the cover of the card and write a message to a grandparent or a special older person they know. Cards are available at your local library or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us how many cards you want.
There is also a chance to win an annual family membership to Galway Atlantaquaria and 10% discount from the Lighhouse Gift Shop. Take a photo of your children with their card and the older person they gave the card to, sharing the photo on social media and tag @copegalway or email the photo to email@example.com.
These cards have been kindly sponsored by: Galway Atlantaquaria, Charlie Byrnes Bookshop, Pale Blue Dot Recruitment and Meals4Health.
Special Positive Ageing Week Offers
Salt Float and Recovery are offering a one-time only 20% discount off their single SALT therapies booked during Positive Ageing Week (Monday 26th – Friday 30th September).
Galway Atlantaquaria are offering free entry to seniors who drop in over the weekend before Positive Ageing Week – 24-25 Sept.
Amber Moon Holistic will offer a Positive Ageing Week discount and taster sessions.