Street Outreach Support Volunteer
Role OverviewTo assist and support Day Centre Project Worker staff involved in street outreach work for the purposes of engaging with people who are rough sleeping in Galway City.
Hours/DurationMornings: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday 7am-8.30am – Evenings: Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Sunday 8pm-10pm (1 shift or more if flexible)
COPE Galway Service:Homeless Services
About COPE Galway
COPE Galway believes in the principle of every person having a home which meets their needs. Our vision is an improved quality of life, in a home of your own for people affected by homelessness, women & children experiencing domestic violence and older people. We believe communities have a very important role in assisting us with our mission. Volunteering is one very important way in which our community can help us in our work.
Teach Corrib Day Centre works with individuals who are experiencing homelessness in Galway City and County, including the provision of information and referral to accommodation and mainstream services and assistance is securing long term accommodation. Food and access to washing and laundry facilities are available. One of the target groups of the service are people who are rough sleeping and as part of the response to this need some street outreach takes place a number of mornings each week with the aim of engaging with and sign posting people who are rough sleeping to where and how they can access services and supports.
Volunteer Role Description:
The focus of this role is to assist and support Day Centre Project Worker staff involved in street outreach work for the purposes of engaging with people who are rough sleeping in Galway City and signposting and supporting them to link with relevant services in the community.
Responsible to: Project Worker/Designated Person
Minimum Commitment: 6 months
- Accompany and support Day Centre Project worker staff on street outreach – this will ordinarily be between the hours of 6.30am and 8am and 7.30pm and 10pm. At no time will the volunteers in this role be volunteering alone. At all times they will be accompanied by a Project worker
- Engage with people who are rough sleeping and communicate to them information on where and how to access supports in Galway City
- Provide food and refreshments to those sleeping rough in the city
- Distribute items such clothing items including gloves and hats etc as required
- Keep a record of the numbers and locations of rough sleepers and generate records as required under the guidance of the Day Centre Project Workers
- Keep yourself safe at all times in the course of street outreach activities
- Respect the wishes of people rough sleeping in terms of their engagement or otherwise with the street outreach work you are involved in
Core competencies/skills required
- Verbal communication skills – ability to communicate effectively and to develop, foster and maintain positive relations with clients, colleagues and other agencies
- Listening skills
- Interpersonal and team work skills
- Conflict resolution skills
- Ability to respond in a professional manner to challenging and stressful situations
- Planning and organisational skills – ability to be organised in approach to work, to follow through with tasks
- A commitment to principles of diversity and inclusion
Education / Experience
- Ideally s area of social care qualifications in the area of community work or a similar or comparable area, but not essential
- Have worked with socially marginalised and disadvantaged in the past, but not essential
- First Aid trained preferable
- Reliable and resilient – has to be willing to turn up in all weather conditions and to persevere with the work irrespective of whether or not rough sleepers are located and whether or not they are willing to engage
- Friendly, enthusiastic manner
- Ability to demonstrate respect and empathy to clients
Special Requirements – beneficial but not necessary to apply for this role
- Qualified driver with own car, full driving licence & insurance. The use of your car will be at your own expense. This contribution is greatly appreciated
- There will be some lifting in this role (food & refreshments)
Advise your insurance company of your volunteer work. A template letter for your insurance company will be provided
Level of English required: must be a fluent speaker of English, other languages would also be of considerable benefit
Induction and Training:
The volunteer will receive induction training prior to starting the role. Further training will be provided if deemed appropriate for the role
Support and Supervision:
Volunteer will be supervised by the Project Worker/Designated Person.
- The opportunity to gain practical experience in this role
- The opportunity to contribute to a local Galway charity and help us in our work
- The volunteer conducts him/herself in a professional manner and maintains a respectful and courteous manner in dealing with clients
- Willingness to work within the values and policies of COPE Galway
- The volunteer will maintain confidentiality in respect of all matters which come to their knowledge in the course of the volunteer role
- The volunteer will make a commitment of 6 months to this role
- Submit an application for the role
- Screening – once the application form is received and the applicant is considered a suitable match for the role, the applicant will be invited to an Interview
- The interview will take place in the relevant service. Successful applicants will be offered the volunteer role subject to 2 Reference Checks from Irish referees and Garda Vetting
- Induction and Orientation will be provided prior to commencement
- Trial period – volunteers commencing with COPE Galway are subject to a trial period
How to Apply
There are three ways you can submit your completed volunteer application form to us.
Email your completed application form to email@example.com
Post or bring in your application form to Volunteer Office, COPE Galway, Calbro House, Tuam Road, Galway.
Submit your application using the online form below.